Saturday, March 1, 2008

Terremoti Oggi

We have been experiencing mild earthquakes since this 8:43 CET morning. Erin and I woke up to one, and while typing this post we just felt another one (11:50 CET). The first one we felt registered at 4.2 on the richter scale, and the epicenter was just northeast of Florence. Here are links to the first report and general news updates (in Italian).

I don't guess it's all that strange given that there are volcanoes in Italy, it's just not wrapped in the wine/olive oil/sunflower stereotype. On top of that I've never experienced an earthquake and I would have thought that when I did, it would have been in California. Anyway it's a new experience. A bit frightening, but they've been very mild, so I'm going to relax with a caffe` and read my 'new' Dylan Dog (issue 111) that I picked up this morning on the way to the St. Ambrogio market.

A presto!

3 comments:

'A Tuscan view.....from Umbria' said...

Hey, I've been meaning to talk to you about this Dylan Dog thing. Julian is now an avid reader his excuse being that you recommended them. I mean come on guys they're comics! I can't see the appeal myself although I suppose Dylan is quite handsome in a cartoon kind of way. Still no quakes here but lots of bad weather on the way.

chris☆lewis said...

I'll stand by that recommendation. Aside from the fact that I like B horror, and of course that Dylan is a sexy cartoon man, I find them useful learning tools. The pictures add context and help with my vocabulary, and even though it's filled mostly with brief dialog some of the phrases are grammatically complex. I don't buy them new from the edicolca though, I buy older issues usually from book stands (about €1 a piece).

So far I've read issues 1, 99, 110 and 111. Believe you me, he only gets sexier.

Unknown said...

I've been doing a little research for you (me) about these magazines, 'fumetti'. I have asked many people many stupid questions and received many stupid replies, but I now have the answer from a film director who is another avid fan. they are called 'fumetti' simply because of the fact that the words are written in those bubbles, a little like puffs of smoke...
I prefer the idea that they are so rubbish you use them to light fires.
Nevertheless, I will continue working my way through mine, slowly...